A New Orleans woman admitted Tuesday she arranged the shooting of her ex-boyfriend by another man who had bad blood with him on Instagram, according to reports.
Earlneishka Johnson, 20, agreed to a three-year prison sentence for aggravated battery in exchange for testifying against 20-year-old Dorrell T. Moten, of Monroe, La., the man accused of shooting her ex last year, The New Orleans Times-Picayune reported.
Johnson allegedly asked the unidentified victim to hang out on Jan. 12, 2014, then left him standing outside her car near her uncle’s house just after midnight at the 13000 block of Sevres St. in eastern New Orleans, according to police reports cited by the newspaper.
Moten and another man then allegedly approached the victim and brought up a social media feud, Johnson's ex reportedly told police from his hospital bed.
“You remember me?” Moten asked him. “What's up with all that?"
“All what?” the victim responded.
“With all that Instagram bucking," Moten replied, using a slang term sometimes used for fighting and sometimes used for backing out of a daring act.
He then allegedly took out a gun and started shooting, wounding Johnson's ex in the chest, on a leg and one of his wrists and making off with his cellphone, according to the newspaper.
The victim fled the area but fell down at a nearby home, where the resident called 911. The man was in critical condition after the shooting but survived,the newspaper reported.
Law enforcement officials haven’t said what may have caused the social media beef or released any records of it. But Johnson recounted the shooting in Orleans Parish Criminal District Court on Tuesday, saying she witnessed Moten gunning down her ex.
As part of her plea deal, she’ll receive credit for more than a year in jail she’s already served awaiting trial, according to court records. Judge Arthur Hunter will also recommend the state Department of Corrections allow her the chance to finish her high school degree while incarcerated, the Times-Picayune reported.
Days after the shooting, Johnson had been charged with being a principal to a first-degree attempted murder, the newspaper reported at the time.
Now, prosecutors will try to use her testimony to add to the punishment if Moten, who is charged with attempted first-degree murder, is proven guilty, according to the paper.
The court’s docket calls for his trial to resume on July 15.